POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Snow candle #3 (~125KB) : Snow candle #3 (~125KB) Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  Snow candle #3 (~125KB)
From: Orchid XP v2
Date: 18 Feb 2006 12:12:41
Message: <43f75589@news.povray.org>
The latest version of my snow candle.

Texture of the candle itself is Gail Shaw's suggestion, with a few
modifications. (I scaled it to match the scene. Also turned off the
ambient term. Looks more like snow with it on - but then the lighting
looks *very* odd!)

Wood and stone textures are from the standard includes. In fact, there
is now virtually nothing original about the whole composition now. (3
points to the first person who can figure out which textures I used...)

I tried a large number of different wood and stone textures. I'm pretty
happy with the wood, but I'm still not convinced that's the right stone
texture... (I rendered the entire scene with several different ones...
none of them looks quite right.)

I am still unhappy with the lighting. The walls seem far too bright, yet
the floor is too dark.

The ice crystals are also wrong; they don't look like ice. They manage
to be simultaneously not transparent enough to show any refraction, yet
too transparent to show up much. (The ones in the middle are almost
totally lost.) The ones on the floor look more like metal than ice.
Don't know whether to make them more shiny (to look like smooth ice) or
less shiny (to look snow-like).

Apart from that... it's just perfect. :-/

Now I remember why I never entered the IRTC before...

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'candle-ip-03+stone13.jpg' (122 KB)

Preview of image 'candle-ip-03+stone13.jpg'
candle-ip-03+stone13.jpg